Friday, April 16, 2010

Tiered Skirt!


Our Daughter Sierra made some comfy pajama pants in her 'Clothing' class at school recently and had some leftover material, and after hearing my grandparents and parents say all the time growing up - 'Waste Not-Want Not', I couldn't let those scraps go to waste! So, I decided that there was enough to make a few small 'Tiered Skirts' for our littlest girls.

Here is a 'Tiered Skirt Tutorial'

Supplies You Need -

Fabric (for 1 small skirt, approx. 24 months)
1 Strip approx. 60 in. X 6 in.
1 Strip approx. 90 in. X 3 in.
1 in. Elastic (the length of the childs waist plus 1 in. for seam)
Lace (optional)


Step #1 -
Lay the Fabric Strips, right-side together and sew a seam down each short end (as shown) and either Serge or Zig-Zag the edge.



Step #2 -
Serge or Zig-Zag the edges that are going to be seamed together. (I like to do this so that it prevents less fraying during the sewing job.)


Step #3 -
Sew a loose or gather stitch on the edge where you are making the ruffled edge, and pull the thread that gives easily to gather it.

*NOTE* On the smaller skirt, I did a gather stitch, and on the larger skirt, I pinned the gathers on myself. (I find that I use both of these methods when I do gathers, and it usually depends on what I have going that day. As was the case today, I was home while working on the smaller skirt, and at a soccer game while working partly on the larger skirt. Hence the photos taken on the grass, except the last one, I just love being outside and the feel of grass on my feet!! :)


Here is what the looser gathered skirt looked like. (when I put in the elastic, which is for a little girl, it is really full!)


Step #4 -
Now, Fold over the edge of the fabric, at the waist, with the Elastic inside it and sew a seam to enclose the elastic (for the Waist-Band).


Step #5 -
Final Step, fold the bottom up and stitch a seam for the hem. (If you don't have a serger, and want a more finished hem, then fold the bottom hem up twice and run your stitch over the folds.)
Now, put this fun 'Tiered Skirt' on a cute little girlie!!


I would have taken a picture with my little girlies wearing these, but when I finished them it was their bedtime! Stay tuned for pics of them wearing them at a later date (I still have to make at least 2 more for my other girls:)!)

Now, you can dress up your skirts with other notions, just let your creative juices flow and HAVE FUN!!

If you have any questions, please leave me a comment and I will answer them, I love to hear from all of you!! Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

veterankindergartenteacher said...

Hi there. I found your blog through Friday Follow. If you would be interested in following my blog, I would gladly return the favor.

Sunshine of Seven said...

Thanks for stopping by!

I checked out your blog, it's creative and informative (we can all use new ideas for teaching youngsters)! Thanks for sharing! I am now following your blog!

Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} said...

Super cute skirts!

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and leaving so many sweets comments. :)

Jen said...

Cute skirts. I love matching little sister outfits.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails